Did you know that millions of trees in the world are storm damaged beyond repair by wind, ice, and lightning each year?
The estimates of property value loss due to tree storm damage stands at an astronomical figure. Although, there is no “cure”, the only way to combat this is via proper planting, prevention measures and treatment.
So protect your family, pets, cars and other personal property from storm damage with proactive, year round tree care. With annual inspections to identify potential hazards, fertilizing and periodic pruning, your trees will be healthier and have a stronger natural resistance to damage.
There are usually six types of storm damage to trees:
- Total tree collapse, when the tree is pushed over and completely damaged due to high winds.
- Stem failure occurs at weak spots of the tree. Old wounds of the tree are weaker as compared to the other sections, and a storm might lead to stem damage and breakage.
- Crown twist, which means more wind on one side of the crown comprising leaves, twigs, and branches. It produces a twist on the branches and main stem causing them to collapse and split respectively.
- Root failure occurs when the roots of a tree are constrained.
- Branch failure, weakens the point.
- Lightning strike destroys tree tissues by electrical disruption and causes extensive water loss and root damage.
The first three are considered to be catastrophic and immediate and proper treatment is needed. The remaining three causes comparatively less damage and their effect is spread over years.
The Palm Guys highly qualified Arborist can help. We will conduct a storm damage risk assessment of your trees. Things to look out for are:
- Areas of included bark (vertical lines of scar tissue beneath the crotch of the tree)
- Hollow or decayed areas
- Excessive dead wood
- Weak branch attachments
- Root injury or decay
If these problems are recognised early on, often times they can be corrected with hazard reduction pruning.
If the storm damage has already occurred then call our professional experienced arborists and they will assist you with the following:
- Removal of fallen and damaged trees
- Tree and branch trimming.
- Felling and elimination of dangerous trees.
- Securing broken or damaged branches
- Pruning, shaping and cutting back dangerous tree limbs
Remember, after a severe storm, tree contractors are in high demand. Build a relationship with The Palm Guys arborists now to ensure that you get our utmost attention in the event of an emergency.
To discuss your palm or tree care needs with our experienced reliable team and to organise an obligation free quote today, please call us on 07 5478 9119 or fill out the Contact Us form.